- Bertelsmann Transformation Index > Management Index 2006: This Index evaluates management by political decision-makers while taking into consideration the level of difficulty. The Management Indexâ€™s overall result is calculated by multiplying the intermediate result with a factor derived from the level of difficulty evaluation.
- Bertelsmann Transformation Index > Status Index 2006: The Status Indexâ€™s overall result represents the mean value of the scores for the dimensions â€œPolitical Transformationâ€? and â€œEconomic Transformationâ€?. The mean value was calculated using the exact, unrounded values for both these dimensions, which, in turn, were derived from the ratings for the five political criteria (based on 18 indicators) and the seven economic criteria (based on 14 indicators). The table shows rounded scores for political and economic transformation as well as for the Status Indexâ€™s overall result. In some cases, therefore, the overall result differs slightly from the mean value.
- Bertelsmann Transformation Index>Political Transformation: Political Transformation The score for â€?Political Transformationâ€œ is obtained by calculating the mean value of the ratings for the following criteria: Â· Stateness Â· Political Participation Â· Rule of Law Â· Stability of Democratic Institutions Â· Political and Social Integration
- CPIA gender equality rating: Gender equality assesses the extent to which the country has installed institutions and programs to enforce laws and policies that promote equal access for men and women in education, health, the economy, and protection under law.
Civil and political liberties:
Civil and political liberties
Units: Index Ranging from 7 (High Levels of Liberties) to 1 (Low
Units: This is the average of two indicators - civil liberties and political liberties.
Democratic institutions rating:
Units: Scale ranging from -10 (autocratic) to +10 (democratic)
- Female ministers: Women in government at ministerial level in 2000 (as % of total). Data were provided by states based on their definition of national executive and may therefore include women serving as ministers and vice ministers and those holding other ministerial positions, including parliamentary secretaries.
- Female parliamentarians: Seats in parliament held by women (as % of total). Data are as of 8 March 2002. Where there are lower and upper houses, data refer to the weighted average of women's shares of seats in both houses.
- Female suffrage: Year in which women received the right to vote. Data refer to the year in which right to vote or stand for election on a universal and equal basis was recognized. Where two years are shown, the first refers to the first partial recognition of the right to vote.
- First female parliamentarian: Year first woman elected or appointed to parliament.
- Parliamentary elections > Registered voter turnout: The proportion of registered voters who actually voted.
- Parliamentary elections > Total vote: The total number of votes cast in the relevant election. Total vote includes valid and invalid votes, as well as blank votes in cases where these are separated from invalid votes. More information on valid, invalid and blank votes can be found at aceproject.org
- Presidential elections > Turnout per million: The number of votes divided by the Voting Age Population figure, expressed as a percentage. Figures expressed per million population for the same year.
- Presidential elections > Voting age population: International IDEA has chosen to use not only the reported registration rate to calculate turnout percentages, but also the voting age population (VAP) which includes all citizens above the legal voting age
SOURCES: Bertelsmann Transformation Index online, 2006; http://www.bertelsmann-transformation-index.de/fileadmin/pdf/BTI_2006_Ranking_GB.pdf; World Development Indicators database; Freedom House, Freedom in the World 2000-2001, New York: Freedom House, 2001; Polity IV Project, University of Maryland, at Polity IV Project; IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 2001. Correspondence on women in government at the ministerial level. March. Geneva; calculated on the basis of data on parliamentary seats from IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 2002. Parline Database. March 2002; IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 1995. Women in Parliaments 1945-1995: A World Statistical Survey. Geneva and IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 2001. Correspondence on year women received the right to vote and to stand for election and year first woman was elected or appointed to parliament. March. Geneva; IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 1995. Women in Parliaments 1945-1995: A World Statistical Survey. Geneva and IPU (Inter-Parliamentary Union). 2001. Correspondence on year women received the right to vote and to stand for election and year first woman was elected or appointed to parliament. March. Geneva.; Source: Millennium Development Goals Database | United Nations Statistics Division; Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance 2003; Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance 2003. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.
"Ghana Democracy Stats", NationMaster. Retrieved from http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy
"Ghana Democracy Stats, NationMaster." 1991-2006. <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy>.
'Ghana Democracy Stats, NationMaster', <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy> [assessed 1991-2006]
"Ghana Democracy Stats", NationMaster [Internet]. 1991-2006. Avaliable from: <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy>.
"Ghana Democracy Stats", NationMaster. Avaliable at: nationmaster.com. Assessed 1991-2006.
"Ghana Democracy Stats, NationMaster," http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy (assessed 1991-2006)
"Ghana Democracy Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy (last visited 1991-2006)
"Ghana Democracy Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Ghana/Government/Democracy (as of 1991-2006)