- Agricultural growth: Index of agricultural production in 1996 - 98 (1989 - 91 = 100)
- Agricultural machinery > Tractors: Agricultural machinery refers to the number of wheel and crawler tractors (excluding garden tractors) in use in agriculture at the end of the calendar year specified or during the first quarter of the following year.
- Arable and permanent cropland: Arable and permanent cropland 2000.
- Arable land > Hectares: Arable land (in hectares) includes land defined by the FAO as land under temporary crops (double-cropped areas are counted once), temporary meadows for mowing or for pasture, land under market or kitchen gardens, and land temporarily fallow. Land abandoned as a result of shifting cultivation is excluded.
- Banana > Exports: Value of Bananas exported in million US dollars.
- Cotton > Exports: Exports of cotton 2003/2004
- Cotton use: Domestic use of cotton 2003/2004
- Fertilizer > Consumption > Metric tons: Fertilizer consumption measures the quantity of plant nutrients used per unit of arable land. Fertilizer products cover nitrogenous, potash, and phosphate fertilizers (including ground rock phosphate). Traditional nutrients--animal and plant manures--are not included. The time reference for fertilizer consumption is the crop year (July through June).
- Fertilizer use: Average fertilizer use (kg per ha of cropland 2000). Fertilizer use, kilograms per hectare, is calculated by WRI by dividing the total fertilizer consumption, measured in kilograms of plant nutrient, by the total hectares of arable and permanent cropland. The measure of fertilizer consumption is an aggregate of nitrogenous, phosphate and potash fertilizers. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) collects data on fertilizer use through surveys distributed to participating governments. In addition, the Ad Hoc Working Party on Fertilizer Statistics works to improve geographic coverage of the data. Hectares of arable and permanent cropland are determined through a variety of means, including self-reporting from governments and FAO estimation methods.
- Permanent crops: Permanent crops in 2000.
- Pesticide use: Average pesticide use (kg per ha of cropland 2000). Pesticide use, kilograms per hectare, is calculated by WRI by dividing the total pesticide consumption, measured in kilograms of active ingredients, by the total hectares of arable and permanent cropland
- Products: Major agricultural crops and products
- Tractors: Number of tractors 2000. Number of tractors in use refers to the total number of wheeled and crawler tractors used in agriculture. Garden tractors are excluded.
- Value added: Agriculture, value added (% of GDP). Agriculture corresponds to ISIC divisions 1-5 and includes forestry, hunting, and fishing, as well as cultivation of crops and livestock production. Value added is the net output of a sector after adding up all outputs and subtracting intermediate inputs. It is calculated without making deductions for depreciation of fabricated assets or depletion and degradation of natural resources. The origin of value added is determined by the International Standard Industrial Classification (ISIC), revision 3.
- Workers per hectare: Workers per hectare of cropland 2000. Agricultural labor intensity, number of workers per hectare shows the labor input intensity of agricultural systems. It is calculated by WRI by dividing the number of agricultural workers by the number of hectares of arable and permanent cropland. Values vary widely among countries according to labor scarcity, production technologies, costs of energy and machinery, etc.
SOURCES: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2001; World Development Indicators database; World Resources Institute; Food and Agricultural Organization (1998); United States Department of Agriculture; Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2000; All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 25 March 2010.; The World Bank
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats", NationMaster. Retrieved from http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats, NationMaster." 1960-2010. <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture>.
'Costa Rica Agriculture Stats, NationMaster', <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture> [assessed 1960-2010]
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats", NationMaster [Internet]. 1960-2010. Avaliable from: <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture>.
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats", NationMaster. Avaliable at: nationmaster.com. Assessed 1960-2010.
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats, NationMaster," http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture (assessed 1960-2010)
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture (last visited 1960-2010)
"Costa Rica Agriculture Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Costa-Rica/Agriculture (as of 1960-2010)