- Air force > Combat aircraft: Number of fighter aircrafts (fixed wing aircrafts with combat capability).
- Army > Main battle tanks: Number of main battle tanks.
- Expenditures > Dollar figure per capita: Current military expenditures in US dollars; the figure is calculated by multiplying the estimated defense spending in percentage terms by the gross domestic product (GDP) calculated on an exchange rate basis not purchasing power parity (PPP) terms. Dollar figures for military expenditures should be treated with caution because of different price patterns and accounting methods among nations, as well as wide variations in the strength of their currencies. Figures expressed per capita for the same year.
- Expenditures > Percent of GDP: Current military expenditures as an estimated percent of gross domestic product (GDP).
- Global Peace Index: The Global Peace Index is comprised of 22 indicators in the three categories ongoing domestic or international conflicts; societal safety; and security and militarization. A low index value indicates a peaceful and safe country.
- Military branches: This entry lists the service branches subordinate to defense ministries or the equivalent (typically ground, naval, air, and marine forces).
- Military service age and obligation: This entry gives the required ages for voluntary or conscript military service and the length of service obligation.
- Navy > Aircraft carriers: Number of aircraft carriers.
- Navy > Submarines: Number of patrol boats (includes minesweepers).
No date was available from the Wikipedia article, so we used the date of retrieval.
- Personnel > Per capita: Armed forces personnel are active duty military personnel, including paramilitary forces if the training, organization, equipment, and control suggest they may be used to support or replace regular military forces. Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population.
- Service age and obligation: This entry gives the required ages for voluntary or conscript military service and the length of sevice obligation.
- WMD > Missile: A description of the nation's situation with regards to the possession and manufacture of missile weapons of mass destruction
- WMD > Nuclear: A description of the nation's situation with regards to the possession and manufacture of nuclear weapons
SOURCES: Wikipedia: List of countries by level of military equipment (List); All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 18 December 2008. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.; All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 18 December 2008; http://www.visionofhumanity.org/#/page/indexes/global-peace-index, Global Rankings. Vision of Humanity.; CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 28 March 2011; CIA World Factbooks 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Wikipedia: List of countries by number of military and paramilitary personnel (The list); World Development Indicators database; The Nuclear Threat Initiative
"North Korea Military Stats", NationMaster. Retrieved from http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military
"North Korea Military Stats, NationMaster." 1985-2014. <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military>.
'North Korea Military Stats, NationMaster', <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military> [assessed 1985-2014]
"North Korea Military Stats", NationMaster [Internet]. 1985-2014. Avaliable from: <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military>.
"North Korea Military Stats", NationMaster. Avaliable at: nationmaster.com. Assessed 1985-2014.
"North Korea Military Stats, NationMaster," http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military (assessed 1985-2014)
"North Korea Military Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military (last visited 1985-2014)
"North Korea Military Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/North-Korea/Military (as of 1985-2014)
- North Korea ranked first for personnel > per capita globally in 2005.
- North Korea ranked first for personnel per 1000 amongst Cold countries in 2005.
- North Korea ranked #11 for manpower fit for military service > males age 16-49 amongst East Asia and Pacific in 2013.
- North Korea has had the highest expenditures > percent of GDP since 2002.