One of the oldest known civilisations, modern Greece emerged from the remnants of a dying Ottoman Empire, gaining independence in 1829. It has around 1,400 islands, the highest number of any European country and, understandably, one of the longest coastlines in the world. However, it's surface area 131,960 km makes it the 96th largest nation on earth though its modest 10.7 million population means there is certainly no crush on the mainland. Greece borders 4 countries: Albania (282km), Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (246km) and Bulgaria (494km) to the north, and Turkey (206km) to the north east. It also faces onto the Ionian and Mediterranean Sea to the west and south, and the Aegean Sea to the east.
Greece: The government changes quickly. Name dynasties like Papandreou dominate the ages. Many people with no qualifications and the targeted eduacation become very important in the government like the current Finance Minister who was very vocal and assisted in promoting the current party's entry to governing.
The farmers who are protesting....who pays them. They do not do it from the kindness of their hearts...they are serious money being paid for their protesting services. Many of the protests seems to be well organized with state of the art communications gear and monitors who instruct the protesters and ....maintain order with coersive methods. Why the Greek press never examines the money trail. (there must be a serious money trail with the protesting population)
A very progressive Country with many well educated individuals and some very unhospitable bravados who sometimes accidently kill Australian tourists.
Nikos 12th January 2010
Andonis, You're embarrassing the rest of us...
NoMoreLies 31st May 2009
Ancient Macedonias were Greeks.
If ancient Macedonians were not Greeks why did they spread greek culture around the world?
Why did the have greek names and ancient greek religion?
Why the have to write the New Testament in Greek? The answer is simple: It was the most common language of eastern part of the Roman Empire - old hellinistic areas
Why there wasn't exist a seperate macedonian nation in the Balkan Wars and just Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, and Greece?
More facts to come...
Andonis (Miami, FL) 4th November 2007
You may want to include some of this on-line :
G R E E K S
1. Greeks created Democracy.
2. Greek island of Crete had one of the first governments in history. ( Minoan Civilization )
3. Greeks appear to have begun occupying their land from about 60,000 years ago.
4. Greeks may have been the Philistines; as are mentioned in the Old Testament.
5. Greek were the original Palestinians.
6. Greeks invented mathematical formulas.
7. Greek was Socrates who said, “I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the World.”
8. Greeks took over Israel under the Empire of Alexander the Great.
9. Greek was Christopher Columbus. http://www.greecetravel.com/history/columbus/
9. Greeks fought for their independence against the Turks; after centuries of Ottoman Rule.
10. Greeks built an exact replica of the Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee; Year 1900.
11. Greeks gave Hitler his toughest fight. We got stronger because we had Nazis living in our houses after Germans invaded.
12. Greeks changed the course of this world by delaying Hitler’s attack on Russia.
13. Greeks destroyed Mussolini’s Army during World War II.
14. Greek is the second most common language in Australia.
15. Greeks are amongst the most successful people in the U.S.
16. Greeks were the first to hold the European Union Presidency.
17. Greek attorney, Peter Angelos, won the class action law suit against big tobacco in the U.S.
18. Greek attorney, Peter Angelos, owns the Baltimore Orioles.
19. Greek is the language that many Old Testament book names stem from. ( Genesis, Exodus, Ecclesiastes )
20. Greek is the language the New Testament was originally written in.
21. Greek Orthodox was the first Christian Religion.
22. Greek is the language most words stem from. ( Scientific, Medical, Mathematical Terminology )
23. Greek is where the names of the star constellations stem from.
24. Greeks started the Olympics in 776B.C.
25. Greeks named the days of the week.
26. Greeks were present during Hiram Abiff and the formation of the masons. http://www.ephesians5-11.org/hiram.htm
27. Greeks named many locations on the moon.
28. Greeks and Chinese do almost 1 billion U.S. Dollars in Shipping Trade Annually.
29. Greeks reside worldwide in Australia, New Zealand, Trebizond, Constantinople, Egypt, Sweden, Argentina, Brazil, France,
South Africa, England, Bulgaria, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Canada, United States, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Russia,
Israel,Austria,Italy,Tashkent,Romania,Ukraine,Hungary,Albania;besides 135 countries in smaller minorities.
We can co-exist peacefully with everyone worldwide. Everyone loves the Greeks. http://www.greece.gr
30. Greek is the Queen of Spain.
31. Greece’s coast is off of which The Lost City of Atlantis is located.
32. Greece is where modern scientific thought originated.
A. The scientific method was created.
B. Disciplines of mathematics, natural history, physics, astronomy and geography were formed.
33. Greek scientists included;
A.Pythagorus (C. 582-504 BC); Philosopher who established a cult which sought to explain the world in numerical terms.
He also established many great geometrical theorems including the"Pythagorean Theorem".
B.Euclid (C. 335-270 BC); Founder of modern geometry, his text, "Elements", is the basis for all modern geometry texts
even today. He established the logical progression of proofs.
C.Aristotle (384-322 BC); Philosopher-scientists whose ideas dominated the world of science until the renaissance. He
established the "Scientific Method" and founded the disciplines of biology, zoology and botany.
D.Democritus (460-322 BC); Developed the first "Atomic theory" in order to answer the question of how change is possible.
E.Archimedes (287-212 BC); The most original and versatile thinker of ancient Greece, he calculated Pi, explained the concept of
the lever, invented the compound pulley and gear and is most famous for his theory of displacement as demonstrated by the
"Eureka" story. He also was known for inventing many weapons of war which were later adapted by the Romans.
F. Hippocrates (460-377 BC); The "Father of Medicine", he founded a great medical school at Alexandria where he taught all disease
came from natural causes and could be cured by rest, diet and cleanliness. His "Hippocratic Oath" is still taken by all doctors today.
G. Aristarchus (310-230 BC); He first proposed the Heliocentric theory.
H. Hipparchus (C. 190-?); A great mathematician, he formed most of the trigometric functions and explained eclipses.
I. Eratosthenes (275-195 BC); The head of the great library of Alexandria, he founded the discipline of geography. He
proposed the earth was a sphere and even calculated its diameter within 1%.
34. Greek was Aristotle Onassis who rented his ships to the U.S. Military during World War II
35. Greeks don’t fight like Heroes, Heroes fight like Greeks, said Winston Churchill.
36. Greeks Re-Established the Greek Orthodox Church in Cuba; January 2004.
37. Greeks held the European Union Presidency when the U.S. Dollar lost its value against the Euro Dollar. 1/03 – 6/03
38. Greeks hold leadership in the University of Central Florida.
39. Greek was Michael Dukakis, who ran for president of the United States of America in 1988.
40. Greek was Spiro Agnew Anagnostopoulos, who was Vice President for President Richard Nixon.
41. Greek was Alexander Dimitry, who was the architect of the Washington Monument.
42. Greek was George Stephanopoulos, who was former president Bill Clinton’s White House Advisor.
43. Greek was George Tenet, U.S. C.I.A. Director for 7 years; from1997-2004.
44. Greek fraternity members at Cornell University were 24 U.S. Presidents and 17 U.S. Vice Presidents.
45. Greece was a founding member of the United Nations. http://www.greeceun.org/candisc.htm
46. Greeks sent a message in the movie, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” when the groom, Professor Miller (a mason), was baptized Greek Orthodox.
47. Greeks do not permit gay marriage like the United States of America does.
48. Greeks are who Latins are turning to for leadership. http://www.latinogreeks.com
49. Greeks held the European Union Presidency when we imposed sanctions on Castro’s Cuba in 2003.
50. Greeks became the European Division Soccer Champs in 2004.
51. Greek is Alex Spanos, who is amongst the biggest contractors in the USA and owner of the NFL San Diego Chargers.
52. Greek is John Negroponte the newly elected U.S. Intelligence Chief 2005.
53. Greeks beat the United States in the World Basketball Championships, September 2006 in Japan.
54. Greek is Admiral James Stavridis who was just appointed to run the U.S. Southern Command Operation out of Miami, FL. October 2006
55. Greek is James Bertakis who miraculously survived a stingray bite in October 2006.
55. Greek is Florida State Governor Charlie Crist. Year 2007
56. Greeks never started a war after accepting Jesus Christ.
Anaximandros 17th April 2006
Some thoughts on minorities.
Regarding the Turkish speaking minority in Thrace and some Aegean islands. They number about 120,000 and enjoy full political and educational rights. They elect two representatives in the house of parliament. Since the abolishment of a law in 1997 that had in the past been used to strip them of Greek citizenship there are few outstanding humanitarian issues. There are also quotas reserved (2%) for Greek Muslim students on all universities as part of an affirmative action program. The Lausanne Treaty stipulated the presence of 100,000 Turks in Greece (Thrace) and 150,000 Greeks in Turkey (Istanbul and two islands). While the former are still there, alive and thriving the later have been ethnically cleansed, with the worst persecution being the infamous 1955 Istanbul Pogrom which claimed the lives of hundreds of Greeks and destroyed thousands of their homes, businesses and churches. The survivors left in thousands and today the Greek speaking population in the city that Greeks founded as Byzantium over three thousand years ago is barely two thousand old men and women. In fact it is to those Greeks whom it has so casually cleansed that Turkey and Islam owe their symbol, the Crescent Moon, since this was a device painted on Constantinopolitan house doors to commemorate the salvation of their city from the besieging army of Phillip II, which they attributed to Artemis, one of whose symbol’s was the Crescent Moon.
Emma 27th October 2005
Where can I find the population destribution for Greece on here...
Yianni 18th August 2005
Well perhaps it is time to teach them the language of the nation:Greek.
Ard 21st April 2005
I think you should have a map of lakes and rivers of Greece.