- Adjusted net national income > Constant 2000 US$: Adjusted net national income (constant 2000 US$). Adjusted net national income is GNI minus consumption of fixed capital and natural resources depletion.
- Biodiversity > Mammal species, threatened: Mammal species, threatened. Mammal species are mammals excluding whales and porpoises. Threatened species are the number of species classified by the IUCN as endangered, vulnerable, rare, indeterminate, out of danger, or insufficiently known.
CFC > Consumption:
Units: Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) Tons (Metric Tons x ODP)
Units: The indicator was obtained by multiplying the Total CFCs emissions (metric tons per ozone depletion potential) with the Per capita CFCs emissions (obtained by dividing the total CFCs emissions by the population in 1997). In calculating the ESI, the base-10 logarithm of this variable was used.
- CO2 Emissions per 1000: CO2: Total Emissions (excluding land-use) Units: thousand metric tonnes of carbon dioxide. Figures expressed per thousand population for the same year.
- Climate change > CO2 emissions > Kt: CO2 emissions (kt). Carbon dioxide emissions are those stemming from the burning of fossil fuels and the manufacture of cement. They include carbon dioxide produced during consumption of solid, liquid, and gas fuels and gas flaring.
- Current issues: This entry lists the most pressing and important environmental problems. The following terms and abbreviations are used throughout the entry:
Ecological footprint per capita
Units: Hectares per Person
- Endangered species > Higher plant species > Number: Higher plants are native vascular plant species. Threatened species are the number of species classified by the IUCN as endangered, vulnerable, rare, indeterminate, out of danger, or insufficiently known."
- Endangered species > Mammal species > Number: Mammal species are mammals excluding whales and porpoises. Threatened species are the number of species classified by the IUCN as endangered, vulnerable, rare, indeterminate, out of danger, or insufficiently known."
- Forest area > Sq. km > Per capita: Forest area is land under natural or planted stands of trees, whether productive or not. Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population.
Marine fish catch:
Total marine fish catch
Units: Metric Tons
- Proportion of land area under protection: Terrestrial areas protected to total surface area, percentage.
SO2 emissions per populated area:
SO2 emissions per populated land area
Units: 1000 Metric Tons/Sq. Km. of Populated Land Area
Units: We obtained the total emissions for each country by summarizing emissions data, originally available as a grid map with 1 degree x 1 degree cells. Air pollution is generally greatest in densely populated areas. To take this into account, we used the Gridded Population of the World dataset available from CIESIN and calculated the total land area in each country inhabited with a population density of greater than 5 persons per sq. km. We then used this land area as a denominator for the emissions data.
- Water > Drinking water > Population with improved drinking water sources > Urban and rural: Proportion of the population using improved drinking water sources, total.
SOURCES: The Changing Wealth of Nations: Measuring Sustainable Development in the New Millennium; United Nations Environmental Program and the World Conservation Monitoring Centre; UNEP, Production and Consumption of Ozone Depleting Substances, 1986-1998, October 1999. via ciesin.org; World Resources Institute. 2003. Carbon Emissions from energy use and cement manufacturing, 1850 to 2000. Available on-line through the Climate Analysis Indicators Tool (CAIT) at Washington, DC: World Resources Institute. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.; Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee, United States.; CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 28 March 2011; World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Living Planet Report 2000, Gland, Switzerland: 2000, and Redefining Progress.; United Nations Environmental Program and the World Conservation Monitoring Centre, and International Union for Conservation of Nature, Red List of Threatened Species.; World Development Indicators database; FAOSTAT on-line database; United Nations Statistics Division. Source tables; Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Special Report on Emissions Scenarios, Data Version 1.1, B1Illustrative Marker Scenario with model IMAGE; All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 18 December 2008; United Nations Statistics Division. Source tables
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats", NationMaster. Retrieved from http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats, NationMaster." 1960-2013. <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment>.
'Papua New Guinea Environment Stats, NationMaster', <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment> [assessed 1960-2013]
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats", NationMaster [Internet]. 1960-2013. Avaliable from: <http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment>.
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats", NationMaster. Avaliable at: nationmaster.com. Assessed 1960-2013.
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats, NationMaster," http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment (assessed 1960-2013)
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment (last visited 1960-2013)
"Papua New Guinea Environment Stats", NationMaster, http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Papua-New-Guinea/Environment (as of 1960-2013)
Papua New Guinea Environment Profiles (Subcategories)
|Adjusted net national income 4||Endangered species 4|
|Adjusted savings 20||Forest area 4|
|Biodiversity 7||Freshwater 7|
|Biodiversity and protected areas 4||Pollution 7|
|Climate change 15||Sanitation 3|
|CO2 emissions 4||Water 12|
|Emissions 6||Water pollution 8|