- Comparative: The area of various small countries expressed in comparison to various areas within the United States of America.
- Comparative to US places: This entry provides an area comparison based on total area equivalents. Most entities are compared with the entire US or one of the 50 states based on area measurements (1990 revised) provided by the US Bureau of the Census. The smaller entities are compared with Washington, DC (178 sq km, 69 sq mi) or The Mall in Washington, DC (0.59 sq km, 0.23 sq mi, 146 acres).
- Land: Total land area in square kilometres
- Land > Per capita: Total land area in square kilometres Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population.
- Land per 1000: Total land area in square kilometres. Figures expressed per thousand population for the same year.
- Total: Total area in square kilometers
- Total > Per capita: Total area in square kilometers Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population.
- Total per 1000: Total area in square kilometers. Figures expressed per thousand population for the same year.
SOURCES: CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 28 March 2011; All CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 18 December 2008; CIA World Factbooks 18 December 2003 to 28 March 2011. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.