- % of managers surveyed ranking this as a major business constraint: Corruption measures the share of senior managers who ranked corruption as a major or very severe constraint.
- Police recorded offences: Number of corruption-related offences as recorded by police in that country.
- Police recorded offences per million: Number of corruption-related offences as recorded by police in that country. Figures expressed per million population for the same year.
SOURCES: World Development Indicators database; European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control International Statistics on Crime and Justice, 2011; European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control International Statistics on Crime and Justice, 2011. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.
Did you know
- India's criminal courts acquitted over a million defendants in 1999, more than the next 48 surveyed countries combined.
- The US has 6 times as many prisoners as India, despite India having 4 times as many people.
- Indian children grow up quickly. They're criminally responsible from 7. 90% under 14 have jobs.