SOURCES: United Nations Population Division. Source tables; United Nations Population Division. Source tables; United Nations Population Division. Source tables. Population figures from World Bank: (1) United Nations Population Division. World Population Prospects, (2) United Nations Statistical Division. Population and Vital Statistics Report (various years), (3) Census reports and other statistical publications from national statistical offices, (4) Eurostat: Demographic Statistics, (5) Secretariat of the Pacific Community: Statistics and Demography Programme, and (6) U.S. Census Bureau: International Database.
Did you know
- 41% world's poor people live in India.
- The US has 6 times as many prisoners as India, despite India having 4 times as many people.
- India loses about 1.5 million children under the age of five each year.
- Indian children grow up quickly. They're criminally responsible from 7. 90% under 14 have jobs.
- There's a parliamentary seat for every 1.5 million Indians.