DEFINITION: Arable land (in hectares) includes land defined by the FAO as land under temporary crops (double-cropped areas are counted once), temporary meadows for mowing or for pasture, land under market or kitchen gardens, and land temporarily fallow. Land abandoned as a result of shifting cultivation is excluded.
|1||India||159.65 million hectares||2005|
|2||Russia||121.78 million hectares||2005|
|3||China||103.4 million hectares||2003|
|4||Brazil||59 million hectares||2003|
|5||Ukraine||32.45 million hectares||2005|
|6||Argentina||27.9 million hectares||2003|
|7||Mexico||24.8 million hectares||2003|
|8||Turkey||23.83 million hectares||2005|
|9||Indonesia||23 million hectares||2005|
|10||Pakistan||21.27 million hectares||2005|
|11||South Africa||14.75 million hectares||2003|
|12||Thailand||14.13 million hectares||2003|
|13||Poland||12.14 million hectares||2005|
|14||Romania||9.29 million hectares||2005|
|15||Philippines||5.7 million hectares||2003|
|16||Hungary||4.6 million hectares||2005|
|17||Peru||3.7 million hectares||2003|
|18||Bulgaria||3.17 million hectares||2005|
|19||Venezuela||2.6 million hectares||2003|
|20||Colombia||2 million hectares||2005|
|21||Chile||1.98 million hectares||2003|
|22||Lithuania||1.91 million hectares||2005|
|23||Malaysia||1.8 million hectares||2003|
|24||Latvia||1.09 million hectares||2005|
Interesting observations about Agriculture > Arable land > Hectares
- United States has had the highest arable land > hectares since 1961.
- Russia ranked first for arable land > hectares amongst Europe in 2005.
- Singapore has ranked last for arable land > hectares since 1989.
- France ranked first for arable land > hectares amongst European Union in 2005.
- Canada ranked first for arable land > hectares amongst NATO countries in 2003.
- India has ranked #2 in arable land > hectares since 1961.
- Australia ranked second for arable land > hectares amongst High income OECD countries in 2005.
- China ranked third for arable land > hectares amongst Cold countries in 2003.
- Spain ranked second for arable land > hectares amongst Eurozone in 2005.
- Japan ranked last for arable land > hectares amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2005.
- Nigeria ranked first for arable land > hectares amongst Muslim countries in 2003.