DEFINITION: This entry records total taxes and other revenues received by the national government during the time period indicated, expressed as a percent of GDP. Taxes include personal and corporate income taxes, value added taxes, excise taxes, and tariffs. Other revenues include social contributions - such as payments for social security and hospital insurance - grants, and net revenues from public enterprises. Normalizing the data, by dividing total revenues by GDP, enables easy comparisons across countries, and provides an average rate at which all income (GDP) is paid to the national level government for the supply of public goods and services.
|1||Hungary||46.8% of GDP||2012|
|2||Brazil||39.4% of GDP||2012|
|3||Estonia||36.9% of GDP||2012|
|4||Bulgaria||35.9% of GDP||2012|
|5||Latvia||35.7% of GDP||2012|
|6||Lithuania||33.4% of GDP||2012|
|7||Romania||33.3% of GDP||2012|
|8||Ukraine||32.1% of GDP||2012|
|9||Peru||31.7% of GDP||2012|
|10||Colombia||29.6% of GDP||2012|
|11||Venezuela||29.2% of GDP||2012|
|12||South Africa||26.3% of GDP||2012|
|13||Argentina||25.9% of GDP||2012|
|14||Turkey||23.8% of GDP||2012|
|15||Mexico||23% of GDP||2012|
|16||China||22.9% of GDP||2012|
|17||Malaysia||22.4% of GDP||2012|
|18||Chile||22.2% of GDP||2012|
|19||Russia||20.8% of GDP||2012|
|20||Thailand||20% of GDP||2012|
|21||Poland||18.3% of GDP||2012|
|22||Indonesia||16.7% of GDP||2012|
|23||Philippines||14.7% of GDP||2012|
|24||Pakistan||12.4% of GDP||2012|
|25||India||9.5% of GDP||2012|
Interesting observations about Economy > Taxes and other revenues
- 10 of the top 15 countries by taxes and other revenues are Christian.
- Burma has ranked last for taxes and other revenues since 2010.
- Greenland has ranked in the top 2 for taxes and other revenues since 2007.
- 8 of the top 17 countries by taxes and other revenues are High income OECD.
- 7 of the top 15 countries by taxes and other revenues are Cold countries'.
- United States ranked last for taxes and other revenues amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2013.
- Northern Mariana Islands has ranked in the top 5 for taxes and other revenues since 1992.
- Cuba has ranked in the top 3 for taxes and other revenues since 2010.
- 2 of the top 6 countries by taxes and other revenues are Former British Colonies'.
- San Marino has ranked in the top 3 for taxes and other revenues since 2009.
- 15 of the top 45 countries by taxes and other revenues are Heavily indebted.