DEFINITION: Net migration is the net total of migrants during the period, that is, the total number of immigrants less the annual number of emigrants, including both citizens and noncitizens. Data are five-year estimates. To derive estimates of net migration, the United Nations Population Division takes into account the past migration history of a country or area, the migration policy of a country, and the influx of refugees in recent periods. The data to calculate these official estimates come from a variety of sources, including border statistics, administrative records, surveys, and censuses. When no official estimates can be made because of insufficient data, net migration is derived through the balance equation, which is the difference between overall population growth and the natural increase during the 1990-2000 intercensal period.".
Interesting observations about People > Migration > Net migration
- United States ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Christian countries in 2005.
- Thailand ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Hot countries in 2005.
- United Arab Emirates ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Muslim countries in 2005.
- Spain ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Europe in 2005.
- South Africa ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Sub-Saharan Africa in 2005.
- European Union ranked first for migration > net migration globally in 2005.
- Canada ranked second for migration > net migration amongst Former British colonies in 2005.
- Italy ranked second for migration > net migration amongst European Union in 2005.
- Austria ranked first for migration > net migration amongst Landlocked countries in 2005.
- Russia ranked second for migration > net migration amongst Emerging markets in 2005.