DEFINITION: International inbound tourists (overnight visitors) are the number of tourists who travel to a country other than that in which they have their usual residence, but outside their usual environment, for a period not exceeding 12 months and whose main purpose in visiting is other than an activity remunerated from within the country visited. When data on number of tourists are not available, the number of visitors, which includes tourists, same-day visitors, cruise passengers, and crew members, is shown instead. Sources and collection methods for arrivals differ across countries. In some cases data are from border statistics (police, immigration, and the like) and supplemented by border surveys. In other cases data are from tourism accommodation establishments. For some countries number of arrivals is limited to arrivals by air and for others to arrivals staying in hotels. Some countries include arrivals of nationals residing abroad while others do not. Caution should thus be used in comparing arrivals across countries. The data on inbound tourists refer to the number of arrivals, not to the number of people traveling. Thus a person who makes several trips to a country during a given period is counted each time as a new arrival.".
|2||United States||57.94 million||2008|
|5||United Kingdom||30.14 million||2008|
|18||Puerto Rico||3.89 million||2008|
|33||Antigua and Barbuda||266,000||2008|
|37||Saint Kitts and Nevis||121,000||2008|
|38||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||84,000||2008|
|41||Sao Tome and Principe||12,000||2006|
Interesting observations about Economy > Tourist arrivals
- France ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Christian countries in 2008.
- Mexico ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Hot countries in 2008.
- United States ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Cold countries in 2008.
- China ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Emerging markets in 2008.
- European Union has had the highest tourist arrivals since 1995.
- Tuvalu has ranked last for tourist arrivals since 1995.
- Spain ranked second for tourist arrivals amongst Europe in 2008.
- Turkey ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Muslim countries in 2008.
- Brazil ranked second for tourist arrivals amongst Latin America and Caribbean in 2008.
- Austria ranked first for tourist arrivals amongst Landlocked countries in 2008.