DEFINITION: This entry records the cumulatiive total of all government borrowings less repayments that are denominated in a country's home currency. Public debt should not be confused with external debt, which reflects the foreign currency liabilities of both the private and public sector and must be financed out of foreign exchange earnings.
|1||Lebanon||119.6% of GDP||2012|
|2||Egypt||88% of GDP||2012|
|3||Jordan||75.5% of GDP||2012|
|4||Morocco||71.2% of GDP||2012|
|5||Israel||66.9% of GDP||2012|
|6||Bahrain||54.2% of GDP||2012|
|7||Syria||52.4% of GDP||2012|
|8||Tunisia||46.1% of GDP||2012|
|9||United Arab Emirates||42.6% of GDP||2012|
|10||Yemen||41.8% of GDP||2012|
|11||Qatar||32.8% of GDP||2012|
|12||Iran||18.4% of GDP||2012|
|13||Saudi Arabia||11.8% of GDP||2012|
|14||Algeria||8.3% of GDP||2012|
|15||Kuwait||6% of GDP||2012|
|16||Oman||4.3% of GDP||2012|
|17||Libya||4.1% of GDP||2012|
Interesting observations about Economy > Public debt
- 7 of the top 9 countries by public debt are Christian.
- Liberia has ranked last for public debt since 2011.
- Zimbabwe has ranked in the top 2 for public debt since 2007.
- Japan has ranked in the top 2 for public debt since 2009.
- 5 of the top 11 countries by public debt are European.
- 4 of the top 9 countries by public debt are NATO.
- Greece has ranked #3 in public debt since 2010.
- 11 of the top 28 countries by public debt are European Union.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis has ranked in the top 4 for public debt since 2009.
- Jamaica has ranked in the top 8 for public debt since 2003.