DEFINITION: Population density is midyear population divided by land area in square kilometers. Population is based on the de facto definition of population, which counts all residents regardless of legal status or citizenship--except for refugees not permanently settled in the country of asylum, who are generally considered part of the population of their country of origin. Land area is a country's total area, excluding area under inland water bodies, national claims to continental shelf, and exclusive economic zones. In most cases the definition of inland water bodies includes major rivers and lakes.".
Interesting observations about People > Population density
- Monaco has had the highest population density since 1961.
- Greenland has ranked last for population density since 1961.
- Singapore ranked first for population density amongst Hot countries in 2008.
- Bangladesh ranked first for population density amongst Muslim countries in 2008.
- India ranked first for population density amongst Emerging markets in 2008.
- Belgium ranked first for population density amongst Cold countries in 2008.
- Malta ranked second for population density amongst Christian countries in 2008.
- Netherlands ranked first for population density amongst High income OECD countries in 2008.
- Aruba ranked first for population density amongst Catholic countries in 2008.
- Mauritius ranked first for population density amongst Sub-Saharan Africa in 2008.