- Female: Female prisoners, expressed as a percentage share of the total prison population. Data for 2003.
- Per capita: Data for 2003. Number of prisoners held per 100,000 population.
- Pre-trial detainees: The percentage of the prison population that is being held pre-trial / on remand. Data for 2003.
- Share of prison capacity filled: The percentage of the offical prison capacity filled. This is obtained by comparing the number of prisoners in a nation to the offical capacity of the nation's prison system. Data for 2003.
Did you know
- India's criminal courts acquitted over a million defendants in 1999, more than the next 48 surveyed countries combined.
- The US has 6 times as many prisoners as India, despite India having 4 times as many people.
- Indian children grow up quickly. They're criminally responsible from 7. 90% under 14 have jobs.