In response to <i>Ali</i>: <p>The land which forms modern day Turkey has a long history of human habitation. Early settlements in the Anatolian Plateau date back to the Bronze and Copper ages. Settlement by the Hittites, Phrygians, Mysians, Persians and others followed until 129BC when Rome established the province of Asia. </p><p>In 330AD, the emperor Constantine dedicated Constantinople (now Istanbul) to be the \"new Rome\" and as the Western part of the Roman empire was breaking down, the Eastern Roman (Byzantinian) empire grew in Strength. The SelÃ§uk Turkish empire (based in Persia) took over most of Anatolia in the eleventh century. In 1288, the Ottoman empire began near Bursa and continued until World War I. During the war, the Ottomans fought with Germany and the Central Powers. With their defeat, the Ottoman empire collapsed.</p><p>Mustafa Kemal began organising resistance to Greek invasion on 19 May 1919. The Turkish war of independence followed from 1920 to 1922. Victory in this war strengthened Mustafa Kemal\'s command. The sultanate was soon abolished and after it the Ottoman empire. The Turkish Republic was declared on 29 October 1923.</p>
Turkey is definitely NOT a Middle Eastern country. Turkey has no ties with that region other than having the same religion. Turks are NOT Arabs, they have no common history with the Middle Easterners, no similar language, etc.. Every other website (including European Union websites) consider Turkey as a European country (and it is). Turkey being in this category shows the lack of required knowledge this website administrators have.
Second answer for Mithat Yavlum. You say that turks are not european by race, language, origin. Who are ? Are germans european ? or French ? All those people are descendants of nomadic barbaric tribes coming from the steppes to the Roman Territory. Furthermore, any linguistic authority can explain you that Turkish is in the same european language family tree along with Persian (Iranian).
Mithat Yavlum. You say that Turkey is not a European country claiming that it has only a small region in Europe. Geographically you seem to be right. Turkey really has its 97% of land area in near east. But you know what. That remaining 3% "small" land area is still larger than several other European countries (Belgium, Netherlands,Luxembourg vice versa). These sentences are written by Tosun....
Turks are not Mongolians, this is not more than a blame of people who do not like Turks!
Visit the following Wikipedia page about the genetic origins of the Turkish people for more information:
Turkey is not in the Middle East.
Turkey is in the Near East.
Get your facts right!
I will not address the several other minor but common misconceptions and indoctrinations stated in this article because I do not have time to rewrite other's people's work.
<small>Staff response to <b>Oscar</b>, comment posted on <b>2005-06-25 16:10:12</b></small><br/>
hungarians are not considered to be mongoloid, because they moved from Mongolia in the 9th century so they more than 1100 years to get mixed with other races, mostly because Hungary was always invaded by other nations: turks, tartars, austrians, russians.
Cilician: An ancient region of southeast Asia Minor along the Mediterranean Sea south of the Taurus Mountains. The area was conquered by Alexander the Great and later became part of the Roman Empire. It was the site of an independent Armenian state from 1080 to 1375.