A program against female circumcision in Senegal, which began in 1997 with 13 Senegalese villages publicly declaring that they would no longer permit female circumcision, has spread to more than 1,500 villages in the ensuing eight years, according to a story in the Christian Science Monitor. Those villages represent 30 percent of the Senegalese villages which are known to practice female circumcision. <p>The program is being replicated with some success in Guinea, Burkina Faso, and Mali. It is also under consideration for introduction in Somalia, where almost 100 percent of women are circumcised. <p>An estimated two million girls in 26 African countries are circumcised annually.
Interesting observations about Health > Women circumcised
- All of the top 14 countries by women circumcised are Hot countries.
- All of the top 2 countries by women circumcised are Former British Colonies'.
- All of the bottom 25 countries by women circumcised are Sub-Saharan African.
- All of the top 2 countries by women circumcised are Muslim.
- Nigeria ranked first for women circumcised amongst Failed states in 1994.
- Mali ranked first for women circumcised amongst Former French colonies in 1994.
- 2 of the top 4 countries by women circumcised are Christian.