DEFINITION: Total ground forces of European Union member states in 2008. Figures include active personnel, reserve forces as well as paramilitary forces.
|1||European Union||6.88 million||2008|
|Eurozone average (profile)||273,098.89||2008|
|European Union average (profile)||266,803.15||2008|
Interesting observations about Military > Active Ground Forces > Total
- France ranked first for active ground forces > total amongst European Union in 2008.
- All of the bottom 26 countries by active ground forces > total are European.
- Germany ranked second for active ground forces > total amongst Eurozone in 2008.
- 20 of the bottom 26 countries by active ground forces > total are NATO.
- 6 of the top 7 countries by active ground forces > total are Christian.
- 19 of the bottom 26 countries by active ground forces > total are High income OECD.
- Italy ranked last for active ground forces > total amongst Group of 7 countries (G7) in 2008.
- 14 of the bottom 18 countries by active ground forces > total are Cold countries'.