- Absence of military (notes): This list shows countries that have no permanent army, whose defense has been assigned to non-military forces such as the police, or is assumed by the military forces from other countries by virtue of a treaty. Each entry describes the current status of each country on regards to its defense.
- Branches: The names of the ground, naval, air, marine, and other defense or security forces
- Manpower > Reaching military age annually > Males: The number of draft-age males and females entering the military manpower pool in any given year and is a measure of the availability of draft-age young adults.
- Manpower reaching military age annually > Males: This entry is derived from Military > Manpower reaching military age annually, which gives the number of males and females entering the military manpower pool (i.e., reaching age 16) in any given year and is a measure of the availability of military-age young adults.
- Military branches: This entry lists the service branches subordinate to defense ministries or the equivalent (typically ground, naval, air, and marine forces).