National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration hurricane forecasters are predicting that the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season will be another above-normal hurricane season on the heels of last year's destructive and historic hurricane season.
NOAA's prediction for the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season is for 12 to 15 tropical storms, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes, of which three to five could become major hurricanes. Their research indicates a 70% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 20% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
The 2005 outlook represents a continuation of a10-year trend that began in 1995. Since then, all but two Atlantic hurricane seasons have been above-normal.
A below-normal hurricane season is expected in the Eastern and Central Pacific. NOAA's outlook for the Eastern Pacific hurricane season calls for 11-15 tropical storms, with six to eight becoming hurricanes, of which two to four may become major hurricanes. Two or three tropical cyclones are projected for the Central Pacific.
Hurricane season starts on June 1 and ends November 30.
NOAA relies on information gathered by flying directly into the storms in hurricane hunter aircraft; NOAA, NASA and the U.S. Department of Defense satellites; NOAA data buoys, weather radars and partners among the international meteorological services.